Discussion in "Component Price and Availability" started by    Ûž TPS Ûž    Sep 11, 2008.
Sat Nov 15 2008, 02:05 am
Some notes on companies that sample chips:

National : 3 tiers of accounts:

1. reviewed by a human . The human chacks the domain of your email to ensure it is a technology website. A university domain is also ok. The human also ckecks for excessive or repetitive parts going to same domain (ragardless of dirrrent people at that domain), and to same physical address. generally do jnot max out all the quantities.

2. not reviewed by a human, processed automatically, and approved instantly. This is the privileged tier. Your account may be promoted to this tier if the human feels your domain is an important customer and a known name. Oversampling by an automatic account does raise a flag though, which will eventually be looked at by a human.

3. Bad Boy tier.
You are invited to pay for samples evry time, no matter what you order. The payment amunts to more money than if you would buy it from a distributor.

Fairchild, Microchip, TI, OnSemi : they will red-flag you if the volume of samples seems above average or parts are repetitive.

In certain areas, if you are unlucky enough to live in a technologically busy region, a sales engineer will almost always try to contact you by phone or email, and invite himself to your premises to discuss your project.

Tech busy regions always have a representative living nearby to service the area.

If you live in a very rural place, (or have samples shipped to a relative in a rural place) there is often no representative in that area, and none of the sales engineers will want to drive 300 km to come see you.

Also, virtually all representatives of all companies are told to keep a keen eye on all sample orders in their region, and follow up with each one of them, because a sample program is supposed to generate LEADS. LEADS to be exploited by sales enineers to acquire new business. If you don't follow a lead fully... all the way to a sale, you have wasted your money on sampling. BUT.. some sales enfineers are more dedicated to their job than others. If you are lucky, you have a guy in your area who is not too eager to work. If you are unlucky, your local sales engineer will be a fiercely motivated hard worker, ready to pounce like a lion on every opportunity.

Since the phone number you provide should be answered by voicemail, he'll contact yu by email to arrange a meeting " ...Will tomorrow be ok if I pass by?..."

Here is a list of phrases you can use to defend yourself:

I will forward your info to the appropriate individuals

we will contact you when there is a requirement for…(meeting, help, etc)
I must check our employee manual regarding discussing information outside the company

I must check with my boss regarding this.

we require an approval process for this

please indicate specifically what obligations we have incurred as a result of this request.

it is our policy that industry interaction should follow a pull, rather than a push process.

I have consulted with our department head, and his opinion is that we should leave this for another time

My current responsibilities are occupying more time than I have available

tanks for your inquiry I will look into it

I am sorry, I do not see a need for that. Thank you

Tue Aug 30 2011, 05:38 pm
I'm looking for Xicor X88527 PDIP, need 10 of them. The only distributor I could find it in stock is charging $115.00 e.a., that's 20 times more than regular price!
Any clues where I can get them, or similar part? I need in on 28-pin.

Thanks!
Fri Sep 23 2011, 08:07 am
Now a days TI is only supplier Intersil is also providing samples
maxim not supporting free mail account.
TI is the best for sample

Get Social

Information