Discussion in "Chill out!" started by    Ûž TPS Ûž    Sep 15, 2008.
Mon Sep 15 2008, 12:23 pm
Happy Engineer's Day
In India, Engineer's Day is celebrated on September 15th every year.

The day is the birthday of Sir M. Visvesvarayya, an eminent Indian engineer and statesman. He served as the chief engineer during construction of Krishna Raja Sagara Dam on the Kaveri River near Mysore. He also built many dams in the Bombay presidency (present day Maharashtra). The dams built by him are still functional even today, a testimony to his brilliance, skill, honesty and dedication. So 15 September, Engineer's Day 2008, is quite a remarkable tribute to the greatest Indian Engineer Bharat Ratna M. Visvesvarayya.

Happy Engineer's Day to all
 pdi33 like this.
Mon Sep 15 2008, 07:56 pm
I have just aware that there is such day called Engineer Day, No such day in Malaysia.
Mon Sep 15 2008, 08:25 pm
celebrated in honour of bharat ratna m. vishveshvaraiya (so in india only)
Mon Sep 15 2008, 08:48 pm
ah.. that personality is truly one great inspiration to all engineers. A great visionary i must say...i read somewhere that he had even proposed to properly channel the rivers of northern india to the south so that the flood problems in the north as well as the drought problems in the south both can be minimised. This massive project is still being considered to date and is waiting to be passed by authorities.

On engineers day , i humbly bow to this great statesman in admiration.

Thanks TPS, honestly, i never knew there was such a day. :-)
Wed Sep 16 2009, 02:07 am
Happy Engineers Day 2009 !dance
Wed Sep 16 2009, 11:44 am
What is a World without Engineers, Happy Engineers Day to all specially those who are in India.
Wed Sep 15 2010, 12:26 pm
Happy Engineer's Day - 15 Sept 2010
Today is Engineers' Day (15 Sept) - Celebrated in reverence of Sir M. Visvesvaraya, the magician-engineer who converted the erstwhile Mysore state to being the most industrialized and progressive state of the India of his times.

Happy Engineer's Day - 15 Sept 2010
I take the vision which comes from dreams
and apply the magic of science and mathematics,
adding the heritage of my profession
and my knowledge of nature's materials
to create a design.

I organize the efforts and skills of my fellow workers
employing the capital of the thrifty
and the products of many industries,
and together we work toward our goal
undaunted by hazards and obstacles.

And when we have completed our task
all can see
that the dreams and plans have materialized
for the comfort and welfare of all.

I am an Engineer
I serve mankind
by making dreams come true.
- Anon (supposedly found pinned to a site hut during the construction of the Konkan railway)

The world without engineers

http://i18.photobucket.[center]

[ Edited Wed Sep 15 2010, 12:32 pm ]
Tue Oct 12 2010, 03:55 pm
Hi to all

Since i am a Mysore guy and now Dasara festival have been started i would like to tell a small story
about the great Engineer Sir MV this story was told by my aunt wen i was kid.:P

As u all know, the KRS dam was built by him. Before the inaugural function of KRS Dam, The Maharaja of Mysore had decided to keep the name of dam as Sir M Vishveswarya DAM,Since Sir MV’s contribution towards it was huge.
But the workers of dam were not happy with this , Bcoz, their argument was that they have built the DAM, and struggled day and night to construct the dam.

This news somehow got to Sir MV, and he decided to give a party for all the workers at his home.

In the party before dinner, he gave one plate and a raw egg to all of them saying ,”can anyone place this egg on the plate vertically?”

(Since the egg is in the oval shape it cant be placed on plate )

They tried tried and tried at last they gave up and told it’s not possible.

But Sir MV removed his ring from the finger and kept it on the plate and placed the egg on the ring.(is it simple naa ).

Might be this story made me an engineer

ajay_bhargav like this.
Tue Oct 12 2010, 04:25 pm
very nice story Kiran

I am proud to be an Engineer..!
Tue Oct 12 2010, 10:00 pm
nice one

Get Social

Information