Discussion in "8051 Discussion Forum" started by    Amit Radha    Sep 30, 2007.
Thu Oct 04 2007, 06:42 pm
hmm no need to be sorry simple questions can be asked here
anyways... shyam has told you everything regarding a testboard..
so all it has is a controller.. and pinouts of all the ports.. so when you want to make something.. just take wires plugin to the ports and connect to whatever peripheral you want to connect Its a general Purpose circuit can be used in any project.. like testing and other..

you can download demo version of keil from http://www.keil.com
and you can also download SDCC free compiler from http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/

But i recommend you Keil as SDCC is a command based compiler so you might find difficult to use.
Also you can find compilers in our site itself go to
Downloads -> 8051 Software
 Amit Radha like this.
Fri Oct 05 2007, 03:16 pm
hey Ajay
thanks again...
But i dint get wat al are the components n the specifications u are using on the test board. also presently am in a cash crunch as of now so have to put off my plans of the programmer for a few weeks i guess :'( can i get some simulator software where i can c how my code works? also i was reading bout the at89c2051 n i got to know it has only 20 pins?!!! so its not the same as the intel 8051 is it which has 40 pins and also it has only 2 ports port 1 and 3?
Fri Oct 05 2007, 04:35 pm
well.. the core is same as that of 8051.. only peripherals are different.. when you go to market you will find many 8051 derivatives.
Derivatives of 8051 has same instruction set with less or more features... So when you are working with 8051 looks for complete information of the IC you are using.
It will be better you buy AT89C51 instead of 2051.. as you will have more Ports and you can do much more than you can do with a smaller IC as you are in learning process right now so more ports more memory is better for you..
if you ask me... spend a lil more. go for AT89C55WD (4 ports 256bytes ram, 20K code) and its cheap..
yes download keil software. it also comes with a simulator too. So you can check your code.

If you are having problem in affording a programmer right now then go for P89C51RD2 (4 port, 700bytes of RAM, 64K code). You can find it in SP road easily will cost around 250Rs. and it doesn't need a special programmer. I will help you making a simple ISP programmer for it...
 Amit Radha like this.
Fri Oct 05 2007, 05:08 pm
thanks ajay
il try seeing how much funds i can muster up n wil inform u on wat i buy. til then il try using some simulator. I got one by the name edsim. am going thro the data sheets of the ics u mentioned learning a lot more than wat they teach in coll.
btw forgot to ask wats the specifications of the stuff u using on ur board?
Fri Oct 05 2007, 05:19 pm
there is nothing special.. it just have a Controller, reset circuit, crystal..
do not worry i will post the schematic for test board.
Fri Oct 05 2007, 08:28 pm
hi amit,
by the time u cant arrange the cash fr prgmer...
use keil compiler + simulator......
get the basics done......
then go for programmer.... since rd2 would cos u around 200/-...
:-)
Sat Oct 06 2007, 01:26 am
hi amit,
you can also buy the mirocontroller kit from www.deccanrobots.com .it's a really good kit for beginners as well as advanced level programmers......you can program both 8051 and AVR microcontrollers using that kit and it has many interfacing features......i bought that kit for 3500/- .....it's quite helpful....just go to the site and check it out!!!! and for learning microcontrollers get the MAZIDI book.......i'm using that kit for my final year project too!!!!!!!!
Sat Oct 06 2007, 01:53 am

hi amit,
you can also buy the mirocontroller kit from www.deccanrobots.com .it's a really good kit for beginners as well as advanced level programmers......you can program both 8051 and AVR microcontrollers using that kit and it has many interfacing features......i bought that kit for 3500/- .....it's quite helpful....just go to the site and check it out!!!! and for learning microcontrollers get the MAZIDI book.......i'm using that kit for my final year project too!!!!!!!!

snehasish

The problem is he is short of money... so we are giving him better and easier way to do things...
why to spend 3500 when work can be done is 200 to 500Rs
Sat Oct 06 2007, 03:13 pm
thanks a lot ajay, shyam n snehashish,
I just got the ful version of keil from my college today so wil start workin at it right away n wil get back to u. Also am lookin at the ICs Ajay mentioned. But i really dint understand wats the advantage of the philips P89C51RD2 especially since u mentioned its expensive ... i may end up burning it if my external ckt is not correct so dont u think its a risk. I think the c51 n C55WD are the best suited right? just goin thro the datasheets of both n comparin with the orig 8051 from mazidi. n shyam wats rd2?
Sat Oct 06 2007, 03:22 pm
full version keil college.....
hehe....
better not discuss things openly or ur college might face problem

Get Social

Information