Discussion in "Project Help" started by    mhmd_saud    Nov 11, 2009.
Wed Nov 11 2009, 08:16 pm
hello dear
i want to make live tracking for a GPS device and sending the position through GPRS network.
the GPS is connected to the GPRS modem within u-controller which will order the GPRS modem to send the position; i need to receive that position on my PC which is connected to the internet through DSL and has a static ip
but i need answer for this question:
* can i send the position to my ip directly ? and how if possible ?

thanks...

Wed Nov 11 2009, 11:42 pm
Yes it is possible.
How easy depends a lot on the software built into your modem.

This subject has come up in several threads on this site.
The threads in the "Embedded GSM Development forum"
are a good place to start.
Thu Nov 12 2009, 03:04 am
thanks alot
Thu Nov 12 2009, 10:46 am
yes u can send the data directly to the ip u need to use any static ip and then using the AT commands u can open ur gprs part and send the data to the ip....

i worked it out and its working...

u can also interface google map for displaying the positions.... google offers this service free of chrge....
 mhmd_saud like this.
Fri Dec 18 2009, 12:17 am
Hey
I'm also doing this exact same project for my class.
Suppose to construct a live gps tracker, where the gps device with an LCD screen, etc. (which will be constructed by my project partner) that can be tracked in real-time through the internet.I'm incharge of handling the tracker part of it.

I'm really new to all this, and I've been reading through the topics in this forum to get the idea from scratch, of what should be involved in making the project work.

From what I've read, there has to be a GPS receiver, gsm modem & a PIC? AT commands? Is that right? If u don't mind, can u help explain how they work together, and the prgramming involved, or a website where I can read to understand more about it.

I know it might be a lot to ask, but I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Fri Dec 18 2009, 05:40 pm

From what I've read, there has to be a GPS receiver, gsm modem & a PIC? AT commands? Is that right? If u don't mind, can u help explain how they work together, and the prgramming involved, or a website where I can read to understand more about it.

VioletRock

Yes those are the major things needed. Whole system is like this:

[ GPS ] <---> [ PIC ] <---> [ GSM Modem ]

both GPS and GSM are connected to PIC via serial port. GPS sends data every second, most of them are configurable. and GSM modem replies to AT command sent from PIC and is responsible for data transfer.

So you take data from GPS, send it to your webserver via GPRS over a TCP socket. This data can then be either stored or directly parsed to display location. That is all
 VioletRock like this.
Fri Dec 18 2009, 08:03 pm
Thanks Ajay

I've checked out the SIMCOM modules for the gsm modem, but it's kinda hard to find websites that actually show the price list, even at www.sim.com.

Any suggestions, where I can survey the price?

Is there any specific type of PIC I should use for the project?
What do u recommend? I'm looking for the cheapest ones available.

Mon Dec 21 2009, 01:55 pm
I managed to find the prices on Ebay.

Right now, in making the choice of which model I should use.
Is there any specific criteria to it that I have to look for?
Coz I don't wanna end up buying the wrong one.

Could u suggest a few GSM modules & PICs for me pls.
And how can I be sure that it will be able to work with the gps receiver that I choose?
Mon Dec 21 2009, 03:59 pm
go for the simplest SIMcom modem SIM300.
for PIC, go for something with 2 Uarts goto microchip.com and find out for yourself.
Sat Dec 26 2009, 01:16 am
Thanks for the site

I've checked out the PICs, I've seriously never worked on PICs, so I have no idea how to pick a suitable one for my project. Haha, sorry I must admit I'm REALLY new to this.
Any suggestions on a PIC? Please

And besides that, do I have to download any software, compiler, etc to program the PIC and the GSM? Could you give me a heads up on what I should study/know about before I start working on them both? Like any coding, etc.?

Hope u can help Thanks.

Get Social

Information