Discussion in "8051 Discussion Forum" started by    diyora    Dec 15, 2007.
Sat Dec 15 2007, 05:26 pm
I work on one project in which i control stepper motor through PC.I used microcontroller 89s51.Now i want to make programmer using PC parallel port & communication between target ic & pc using USB port.Is it possible ? if yes, then give me an idea about this.

Thank you.

Sat Dec 15 2007, 08:48 pm
well u can not use 8051 as host...
so 2 way communication btwn PC and uC cana not be done..
u can surly use usb to make 8051 as mass storage device (fat 8)
Sat Dec 15 2007, 09:38 pm
sure its possible..make use of FT232 IC.. its a UART to USB converter.. with UART interface. It has UART interface hence easy to connect to any kind of 8-bit microcontroller.
Sun Dec 16 2007, 10:55 am
Hi ajay,
Thanks for reply & suggestion everyone.But there is less availability of IC FT232.But i have another option. I want to communicate with 8051 with USB port.I have USB to serial dongle(cable).I have also 8051 programmer using parallel port & communication through serial port.
Can i connect programmer serial port & USB to serial cable?I have not any driver for that.

Thank you.
Sun Dec 16 2007, 02:11 pm
u want to communicate thru usb or ..
programme uC thru usb???
Sun Dec 16 2007, 02:46 pm
Hi shyam,
Thanks for reply. At first level i want to communicate through USB & parallel programmer used.
then after in future i want to also programmer through usb.
If i wrong in thinking please give me proper way.

Thank you.
Sun Dec 16 2007, 03:24 pm
hi diyora....
there r some 8051 with usb interface.. but to precise which one of them r u using.....
well cause all of them cant be used for communication...
which 51 uC have u decided to work on..

Sun Dec 16 2007, 04:01 pm
hi shyam,
i used 89s51 microcontroller for that.
As you mention there are some usb interface uC there.
Can you please send me any useful link related to this ?

Thank you.
Sun Dec 16 2007, 04:05 pm

well u can not use 8051 as host...
so 2 way communication btwn PC and uC cana not be done..
u can surly use usb to make 8051 as mass storage device (fat 8)


i am using 89S52 micro controller...
Sun Dec 16 2007, 05:28 pm
diyora, if you have a USB to serial converter then you can use it.. with your controller. Connect the serial part to your controller and USB to your PC... i am sure you will be getting drivers from the dongle company.

But i want to tell you that.. USB to serial converter is nothing but a simple FT232 based breakout board. So try if you can get it shipped from somewhere.. keep the pricing in mind.. whichever is cheap use it.

Now regarding choice of controller.. its hard to get 8051 with USB in india.. as far as i know.. but you can try searching.. if you get is well and good.. otherwise use any normal 8051 with USB to serial converter board or FT232 whichever available.

Get Social


Powered by e107 Forum System



Fri Sep 22 2023, 05:09 pm
Fri Sep 22 2023, 04:17 pm
Fri Sep 22 2023, 03:39 pm
Fri Sep 22 2023, 02:05 pm
Thu Sep 21 2023, 03:03 pm
Thu Sep 21 2023, 08:19 am
Wed Sep 20 2023, 08:40 am
Wed Sep 20 2023, 05:47 am