Discussion in "8051 Discussion Forum" started by    say2paul    Jun 20, 2008.
Tue Jun 24 2008, 11:46 pm

Sorry Paul i wrote that in hurry.. i thought you'll be able to find it..

So.. Phone when talks on IR, it works on IRDA protocol, it not just a simple protocol. IRDA has full stack of its own. You have to start yourself with IRDA implementation first before going into mobile communication over IR.

For obvious reasons, its preferred to use wired UART instead.

For IR packet format Please refer to gnokii.org
Packet format is almost same like FBUS with little modifications.

the only problem comes when you have to deal with IRDA protocol. Even the IRDA official website ask for payment to give details about its protocol.

May i know why are you interested in IRDA?

Ajay

Dear Ajay, Thanks a tonn!

I am not interested in IRDA but moreover interested in developing a bi-directional connection between a mobile phone and microcontroller. I am Symbian C++ developer for last 3 years and I am able to send and receive IRDA data packets through mobile phone (using Symbian C++).

I also want to do this with UART (instead of IRDA) but no one is there to guide so I was trying the other alternate i.e. IRDA.

If you can guide me through UART in detail with some circuit example (if possible).

It will not be difficult for me to develop it provided if someone is there to guide. I know everyone is busy with there profession. But I think it will not take much time for an expert to draw a detailed flow for UART connection with 8051 microcontroller.

The basic aim of the project is: mobile phone (Symbian) will send some signal/data to the microcontroller and the microcontroller will then proccess the data accordingly and control the device/appliances.
Thu Jun 26 2008, 02:36 pm
I did a lot R&D on FBUS and Symbian. I had not found even a single link on WWW which says that Symbian C++ application (Symbian phone) can communicate with 8051 with FBUS.

The only alternate left are Bluetooth and IRDA. I did R&D on IRDA and found that it is very difficult and complex to communicate a mobile phone and 8051 using IRDA.

The another possibility in IR is IrSIR. Using IrSIR I think I can send IR signal from mobile phone to the IR remote designed by Ajay.

I do not have any idea about how to communicate using Bluetooth.

It is very uncertain, if anyone from you can suggest me the right path!
Thu Jun 26 2008, 07:55 pm
Ajay, Arun, TPS . .
Anyone please help!
Thu Jun 26 2008, 08:22 pm
I think symbian provides you APIs to do so.. I dont have any idea about symbian programming, downloaded few tutorial but never read them

Regarding UART, i tell you, Most of the symbian phones have USB interface and not UART. Thats the problem. If you can scrach the internet maybe you will find some APIs to create a USB based application for symbian but for UART I really doubt

PS: Please give us some small tutorial and tips for what we all need to get start with symbian C++ I am symbian phone user from last 6 years and i am really obsessed with smart phones.. I hope you can understand. I want to learn this symbian C++. Guide me and all of us!

Thu Jun 26 2008, 09:43 pm

I think symbian provides you APIs to do so.. I dont have any idea about symbian programming, downloaded few tutorial but never read them

Regarding UART, i tell you, Most of the symbian phones have USB interface and not UART. Thats the problem. If you can scrach the internet maybe you will find some APIs to create a USB based application for symbian but for UART I really doubt

PS: Please give us some small tutorial and tips for what we all need to get start with symbian C++ I am symbian phone user from last 6 years and i am really obsessed with smart phones.. I hope you can understand. I want to learn this symbian C++. Guide me and all of us!

Ajay

Sure Ajay, I love to guide communities. It is not that difficult to learn Symbian C++ but to work on it is not as easy. Anyways I will definitely guide you and the group.

These days I am very much involved into interfacing mobile phone with 8051.

At this point of time I need your help and all other experts in the forum. Please help me to interface the mobile phone to 8051.

-------------------------------

I had a chat with TPS today and he suggest me to build my own protocol for IR instead of using IRDA. I think he is right as IRDA would be difficult to built at a beginner level.

Right now I don't have a strong knowledge of these IR protocols, but I got an idea while driving back home.

The idea is to transmit IR signal (like Remote control transmit the signals to TV) to the IR receiver (TSOP or Phototransistor I don't know the difference) connected to the 8051 (AT89C51) microcontroller.
To acknowledge back, 8051 will send a IR (using IR led coonected to 8051) signal to the mobile phone.

I think this idea will never use the complex implementation of IRDA. All I need is your guidance to begin!

P.S. I don't understand assembly language, please support me in C.

[ Edited Thu Jun 26 2008, 09:49 pm ]
Fri Jun 27 2008, 04:36 pm
Still waiting for someone to respond!
Sat Jun 28 2008, 06:25 pm
If you can do irda in your mobile then the MAX3100 interfaced to the 8051 could do all the dirty irda work for your micro.
Do checkout this uart from Maxim : http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX3100.pdf

Since there are symbian software for TV remote control,means you could do the same... program the mobile to send RC5 and decode it at the micro with a regular tsop.
Dunno much about Symbian programming but can you somehow switch the mobile's IR led on-off?
 say2paul like this.
Sat Jun 28 2008, 08:50 pm
I think IrSIR is the best option.. you can send data normally.. like we transfer in remotes.. there we send numbers as command and data.. you can send text data etc.. I am running shor of time again tonight

I am not know to IrSIR, so i need to read about it before guiding you a little more.
 say2paul like this.
Sat Jun 28 2008, 11:25 pm
Thanks Ajay and sashijoseph, I had already gone through the MAX3100.pdf but stil.. I don't know how to design the exact circuit diagram using MAX3100 with 8051. If you can help me on it!

Also it is possible to communicate using IrSIR with Symbian but again no idea how will I receive the IrSIR signal from 8051?

Please help me, show me the right path with some circuit diagrams (if possible).
Tue Jul 01 2008, 03:15 pm
No reply?

Get Social

Information