Discussion in "8051 Discussion Forum" started by    say2paul    Jun 20, 2008.
Fri Jun 20 2008, 10:49 pm
How to make Infrared as an interface to the AT89C51 so that if I send some data to the Infrared sensor, the AT89C51 should process it accordingly.

I don't have any idea how to start. If some one from you guide me through it
Sat Jun 21 2008, 06:38 am
Hello say2paul,

you can start by streamlining what your project intends to do, when you say data should be processed accordingly by micro - do to you mean to control some device remotely?

second you have to choose which format you'll be using to decode IR signals - RC5, NEC, Sony etc.

RC5 or philips format is easy to deal with, try to understand how this protocol works, just search on google.

once you are familiar with the subject, then comes the interfacing part to the micro...............

Arun
 say2paul like this.
Sat Jun 21 2008, 08:37 am
@say2paul
It isn't clear whether you need infrared data communications or appliance control.
If the latter you need to do as Arun says.
If the former then you must use an Irda protocol.Or better still use Rf for communication instead of IR.
Sat Jun 21 2008, 11:39 am
I'll explain you in brief. The main objective of the project is to control several devices/appliances through a mobile phone's infrared signal.

I am trying to make a design in such a way where:

1. Mobile phone will send the IR signal.
2. An IR detector connected to microcontroller will get the signal.
3. The microcontroller then process the signal accordingly and control (turn on/off) devices/applicances.

Please not that right now I don't have any idea of RC5 or NEC protocols but if you want me to understand them prior designing the above project then I will definetely study them.

Can you please guide me the way!

[ Edited Sat Jun 21 2008, 11:41 am ]
Sat Jun 21 2008, 12:29 pm
Well afaik mobiles use an IRDA protocol to implement IR communications.
So first of all you need to make your 8051 IRDA ready.
Secondly the communication will be like normal serial communication using AT commands.
The controller will send AT commands to the mobile and the mobile will respond with appropriate messages.
So at first sight this doesn't seem to fit the scheme of things you desire.

Are you sure you need a mobile for it.You can easily do the same thing with another micro or an RC5 remote sending commands to your master micro to control appliances.
 say2paul like this.
Sat Jun 21 2008, 01:09 pm
Thanks sashijoseph,

But I really need a mobile device as I need to develop a logic in mobile device where the mobile device will authenticate the user input and will send some information over SMS and GPRS and then pass some kind of IR signal to the IR detector connected to the 8051 device.

I hope you got some idea what exactly I want to built.

[ Edited Sat Jun 21 2008, 01:35 pm ]
Mon Jun 23 2008, 05:52 pm
What kind of data should I send from Mobile phone IR to the IR connected to the micro-controller.

Is there any particular format for it? Or I can send any date over it?
Mon Jun 23 2008, 09:22 pm
Mobile communication over IR is same like FBUS in some mobiles. you need to send data in packet format. Search in google for more information
Mon Jun 23 2008, 09:34 pm

Mobile communication over IR is same like FBUS in some mobiles. you need to send data in packet format. Search in google for more information

Ajay

Thanks Ajay, but this is a very vague answer. I am googling for past 3 days but unable to find the solution as I do not have expertise in this field.

But you or other electronic experts can help me providing in detail information for IR data transfer from a mobile phone to IR (TSOP) device connected to micrcontroller so that I can control appliances from mobile phone.
Tue Jun 24 2008, 08:30 pm
Sorry Paul i wrote that in hurry.. i thought you'll be able to find it..

So.. Phone when talks on IR, it works on IRDA protocol, it not just a simple protocol. IRDA has full stack of its own. You have to start yourself with IRDA implementation first before going into mobile communication over IR.

For obvious reasons, its preferred to use wired UART instead.

For IR packet format Please refer to gnokii.org
Packet format is almost same like FBUS with little modifications.

the only problem comes when you have to deal with IRDA protocol. Even the IRDA official website ask for payment to give details about its protocol.

May i know why are you interested in IRDA?

Get Social

Information