Discussion in "Project Help" started by    mhmd_saud    Nov 11, 2009.
Thu Mar 11 2010, 12:19 am
where you got EVB form? better contact them. coz you followed what supposed to be done. and its not working better claim to company.
Thu Mar 11 2010, 04:09 am

I already switched on the adapter, turn the s1 key OFF, s2 key ON and click the pwrkey for 1 second. The LED is suppose to light up right? But it's not lighting up at all.

VioletRock

Which adapter have you got ?,post a link to the website.
Thu Mar 11 2010, 07:30 am
I bought it from Farnell.
Here's the website : http://my.farnell.com/simcom/sim300evb/kit-evaluation-board-compact/dp/1678298

I'm not sure if it's my computer or the evb that's the problem. But even if I haven't connected it to the computer, the LED should at least light up right?
Thu Mar 11 2010, 08:37 am
Hey, I just wanted to find out, if I've managed to get the right AT commands and burn them into the PIC and get all the connections with the GPS receiver right. I was just wondering how will it be received on the computer?

How does the person who's tracking the GPS receive the information on the computer? How does he/she know where to check, to open up the map to see the location of the GPS?
Sun Mar 14 2010, 05:01 pm
try with hyperterminal first. before going to PIC.

and regarding your second question check this out:
http://opengts.sourceforge.net/
Tue Mar 16 2010, 05:05 pm
Why do people keep telling me I need two modems to track the GPS from a computer?
It;s just one that;s connected to the gps right?

Anyway, is it okay that I bought a normal handphone pre paid SIM card for my evb?
will it work?
Tue Mar 16 2010, 08:51 pm
You dont need two modems at all.. just the mobile device need modem for internet connectivity and once your mobile device is on internet you can always connect to any PC around the world which is over internet

Just check if they fit in your EVB and what about mic? are you planning for call from device? if yes then you must know that while in call, your GPRS goes to dormancy mode.
Wed Mar 17 2010, 10:09 am
I don't think I'll be using the mic.
Just data sending , that's all.

Hey,
Could u explain to me in detail how exactly do I get the sim300 evb to run.
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The LED doesn't want to flash at all.
The manufacturer's taking quite a while to reply to my question.
Thu Mar 18 2010, 02:45 am

Why do people keep telling me I need two modems to track the GPS from a computer?
It;s just one that;s connected to the gps right?

VioletRock

They probably expect you to send an SMS from on modem to the other,
then on to the PC.
You can do it that way OR
send your SMS to a online service, the PC can then get the message from the online service.
As in this project
http://tinkerlog.com/2007/07/28/using-google-maps-with-a-mobile-gps-tracker/

Using GPRS you can send directly (real time) to the PC through the internet.
Do you want to use SMS messages or a GPRS link ?.

Anyway, is it okay that I bought a normal handphone pre paid SIM card for my evb?
will it work?

VioletRock

It will work for SMS, for GPRS you will need a service provider that offers GPRS
and you need to check the prices for the service,it can vary a lot.

Could u explain to me in detail how exactly do I get the sim300 evb to run.
I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. The LED doesn't want to flash at all.

We can't really help much.
The instructions seem simple..plug in and switch on !
The LED will only flash if the SIM is installed and working.

Is the power/battery switch set to power supply input ?
Does the power supply come with the kit ?
What voltage are you putting into the board ?
Is it the right polarity?

[ Edited Thu Mar 18 2010, 02:57 am ]
Thu Mar 18 2010, 09:05 am
The power supple came with the kit. That adapter thing. But if it came with the kit, then it should be supplying the right amount of input right?

I'm wondering what else could be the problem, is it possible that I might have to change any of the components on the board or something.

Farnell , the company I bought it from, isn't much help. I tried contacting them asking if they could test it for me, and they said they don't do that. I've paid too much to NOT do anything about it. I can't start on my work if the thing won't run

Get Social

Information