Discussion in "Project Help" started by    mhmd_saud    Nov 11, 2009.
Sun Jan 17 2010, 01:57 am
yes you can lock your simcard. try AT+CPIN but make sure you have the PUK number with you incase you enter wrong PIN 3 times in a row. and if you enter wrong PUK 10 times in a row, SIM will get damage so be careful when playing with PIN.
Tue Jan 19 2010, 04:23 pm
I'm still waiting for my SIM to arrive.
A friend was telling me that while my partner works on programming the PIC, I can start working on the receiving part by connecting the SIM to the computer.

Can anyone teach me how do I do that?
Is there any software I should download for it, like a converter to convert the the info received from the GSM to be readable by the PC? I'm not sure.
Wed Jan 20 2010, 12:59 am
Well. You can work with your sim module by connecting it to the com port of your computer and sending AT commands through hyperterminal. You''ll be able to communicate with it.

I wish you receive your module soon. Did you order a long time ago? What was your shipping preference (mail or DHS)?
Wed Jan 20 2010, 02:17 am

ExperimenterUK, are you sure it is less expensive to use GPRS. It seems your are from Uk, what kind of contract do you have that is cheaper than SMS?
I want to put a pay-as-you go sim with minimum top-up, but I can't use GPRS, and I have to top-up every 3 months in order to keep the sim activated.

mutonic

This will vary from country to country and between providers.
All I can say is that in the UK I use a provider that provides GPRS services on a
Pay as you Go card.
Service providers vary *a lot* so you may have to search and ask questions.

If you have a contract that includes free texts, texts will be cheaper
but there is often a limit as to how many you can send per minute.

Anyway, I forgot to ask about the simcard I should use.
Is there a specific model I should get? Or can I just get any simcard from any telecommunication companies in my country, like the normal handphone sim?

VioletRock

Basically all sim cards are the same,
but often you use it for speech or data(GPRS) only.

Shop around for the best provider of GPRS services
then ask them which card to use.

Make a note of anyone you speak to (or email) in case you have problems later.
Wed Jan 20 2010, 02:34 am
hyper terminal? okay, I'll look into that.
I ordered mine about a week ago. DHS I think.
should reach here by end of jan hopefully
Thu Jan 21 2010, 09:24 am
hey is hyper terminal okay to be used if my laptop doesn't have a static IP address?

My friend says I have to download a converter to convert sms to something, I can't remember what he said. Is he right?
Fri Jan 22 2010, 09:21 am
hey I just got my SIM300. I was just wondering, how do I attach it to a strip board?
and if I were to communicate with it through the PC, do I attach it on a board first then connect it through a serial port.

Pls reply asap. I really have to start working on this.
Fri Jan 22 2010, 03:25 pm
you need a MAX232 circuit between sim300 modem board and your controller. you need only three wires to communicate successfully, Rx Tx and ground. so strip board will be having a serial port just like your PC and you can connect modem board.
Fri Jan 22 2010, 06:43 pm
MAX232 ? Is this the one : http://bit.ly/4KL1jf ?

I was just wondering, does the SIM300 need some kind of evaluation board?
I don't understand how it is attached on to the stripboard with its flat back.
Ajay, u keep mentioning modem board, is that the evaluation board I'm suppose to get?
Sat Jan 23 2010, 12:59 am

hey I just got my SIM300.

VioletRock

Awesome man, I'm ordering right now.

I don't know exactly what you have to do in your project, but I think you'll be fine with the time line.
I'll try to check this thread often and try to help u, but I don't have the SIM module for the moment (shouldn't be the case for long).

Concerning your question, you can search info on this forum about interfacing the SIM module with the PC. There is a lot of information. I didn't study deeper as I don't have the hardware, but I'll check if I find some of the links I saved.
In my case, I avoided the need of interfacing by coupling the module to an arduino board (20$) which does everything for you (hopefully).

Get Social

Information